In 2017, United Way Greater Victoria marks 80 years of changing lives. To celebrate our 80th, we are listing 80 of our favourite things that are meaningful to United Way and showcase our impact in the community thanks to our volunteers, donors, funded partners and supporters. Here’s the count so far:
80 of our favorite things:
1. Moving downtown to a new office – stop by and visit us at 201-633 Courtney Street
2. Hosting our volunteers, donors and the community at our open houses in January. To see the many faces dedicated to our cause, check out http://uwgv.ca/our-board/
3. Launching our 2nd annual Raise the Red month February 1, 2017
4. Partnering for the first time with the Cookie Guy who created a special Raise the Red Velvet Cookie for United Way
5. Partnering for the first time with Baggins Shoes for our Raise the Red signature red converse runner contest
6. Three cheers to Wheaton GM for providing a campaign car
7. Partnering with the Royal BC Museum on our annual scavenger hunt
8. Partnering with the Victoria Film Festival for the showing of the Theatre of Life – a documentary on a soup kitchen in Milan, Italy
9. Celebrating bc211 day on February 11, a phone/text and online service that supports people looking for social service information. bc211.ca will be available to all British Columbians early April 2017
10. Celebrating BC Family Day February 13 – did you know 1,091 families were helped last year thanks to United and our funded partners?
11. Recognizing Pink Shirt day Feb 22
12. Celebrating local leadership at the Victoria Community Leadership Awards
14. Celebrating our 80th anniversary and our Red Feather donors at a special concert at UVic! Special thanks the event sponsor Berwick Retirement Communities and the event performers The Victoria Brat Pack, UVic Jazz Ensemble and Ken Lavigne. And not to forget the University of Victoria for event venue and printing support!
16. Happy National Volunteer Week – we could like to say thank you to our many volunteers for you commitment and dedication to our cause. High fives all around!
17. Three cheers to the 250 workplaces, 500 volunteers and thousands of donors that participated in our 2016 campaign. Here’s a video of appreciation
18. What an accomplishment thanks to you! Did you know your support funded 109 community programs that helped over 111,000 individuals, families, youth and children improve their lives in 2016? Learn about the impact your donation is making in the CRD in our Community Report.
19. Celebrating Campaign Excellence at our Spirit Awards
20. Recognizing our volunteers and our new honorary life members at our AGM
21. Having fun at the BC Ferries Annual Charity Golf Classic. Thank you everyone who participated!
22. Welcoming our Campaign Associates who help us in the community with our annual community campaign. Thank you UVIC, Island Health & BC Transit!
23. Three cheers to Phillips Soda pop promotion and all the retail outlets who promoted pop that gives back! Save-on-Foods, Thrifty’s, Red Barn, Country Grocer, TruValue Foods and Quality Foods.
24. Being part of the Unite for BC Wildfire campaign. Helping people rebuild their lives through United Way.
25. Kicking Off our 80th Community Campaign at the Bay Centre! Thanks to key sponsors Victoria Labour Council & The Bay Centre
26. Launching the bc211 service at our campaign kick off!
27. Running our Be the “I” in United contest at the Bay Centre.