A great place to work begins with its people. Driven by excellence and a shared set of values, our team of talented professionals is dedicated to doing meaningful work in the community. Our employees are proud to work at United Way and are committed to building a region where every individual and neighbourhood can thrive.
DIRECTOR OF PHILANTHROPY
United Way Greater Victoria is seeking a Director of Philanthropy to lead and facilitate the donor experience. Reporting to the CEO and a member of the senior leadership team, the Director plays a lead role in raising funds with accountabilities for visioning, planning and establishing strategic direction and operational plans consistent with the community impact vision of United Way.
The new Director will lead a team and develop strategies to grow our donor and supporter involvement and profile.
ABOUT UNITED WAY GREATER VICTORIA
United Way is a year-round fundraiser and community funder working to address the immediate needs of Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable citizens, while also creating long-term strategies to target the root causes of social issues. As one of the region’s largest non-government funder, United Way is one of a few organizations to provide multi-year funding to ensure the support of a stable network of services. The organization works collaboratively in a “united way” bringing business, labour, government, the non-profit sector and donors together to build a strong and caring community.
United Way has a tremendous history in Greater Victoria – over 80 years in the community and $150 million raised. The funds are invested to improve lives in three priority areas of kids, poverty and community.
This is a key moment in time for United Way as new leadership, strong Board support and national strategic vision has paved the way to move the organization forward to diversify its fundraising approach, re-affirm its role as an impact funder and ensure its place as the community leader in the sector.
For more information, please see www.uwgv.ca
FUNDRAISING AT UNITED WAY GREATER VICTORIA
The annual United Way community campaign is at the core of our fundraising efforts, drawing together caring individuals, corporations, employees, and labour membership. The 2018/19 community campaign is well underway with a goal of $5 million. Above this base, the Director and team then work to deepen relationships with our existing and new donors, as their social impact advisors in the community.
In 2017/18, thanks to the thousands of donors who supported our mission we raised just over $5 million to help provide a strong and stable network of services that sustain our social and economic fabric.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The new Director of Philanthropy will be an accomplished major gifts fundraiser, with a breadth and depth of experience including an understanding of complementary development areas such as planned giving, annual campaign, and finance. A builder by nature, the successful candidate will have a thirst to build and create, and aspire to take our program to the next level with our development and organization partners.
A big picture thinker with a strategic mindset, the new Director will have the proven ability to listen to donor interests in making a difference then translate our programs, impact, and vision into compelling social investment opportunities. The Director’s relationship-building skills will encompass both the patience to maintain long-term donor-centric connections, and the perseverance and energy to see them through to fruitful conclusions. Assertive and direct, yet empathetic and pragmatic, the successful candidate will be adaptable, thriving in a variety of stakeholder environments.
A solutions-focused self-starter, the new Director will be highly professional in outlook and presentation. The new Director’s competitive nature and high energy will be balanced with a down-to-earth, friendly, and personable character. The successful candidate will be a team player and proven collaborator, with particular success in having meaningfully engaged senior volunteers and effectively managing staff. The Director will have solid discretion and tact, with a high degree of accountability and unquestioned ethics.
As adept at the science as the art of major gifts development, the new Director will have the desire and experience to make sound data-driven decisions. Organized and deliberate, the successful candidate will have excelled at documenting significant milestones and moves management.
The Director performs all of the following duties and activities in accordance with the Vision, Mission and Values of United Way Greater Victoria and adheres to, and sets the example for the organization’s policies, procedures and protocols at all times:
Integrated Fund Development
- Oversee the growth and development of individual giving and planned giving
- Develop and implement the fund development department’s annual plan including specific goals and strategies
- Oversee the development and administration of systems, tools and techniques to further develop the fund development plan
- Collaborate with Communications and Marketing regarding the development of fundraising promotional materials for individual giving, and in conjunction with broader campaign goals
- Analyze the data and experiences of previous years and evidence-based fund development practices in implementing new strategies
- Prepare and distribute accurate, relevant and timely reports to the CEO, management, Board, staff and volunteers
Donor Relations and Donor Management
Acting as the key contact for the Individual Giving and Major Gifts and volunteers, the Director will:
- Oversee the identification and engagement of potential major donors through the workplace/community campaign and the community at large
- Direct resources to ensure UWGV recognizes and stewards individual donors in accordance with best fundraising practices and United Way’s Donor Services Model
- Manage donor growth through donor research, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and proposal preparation
- Develop and maintain productive and highly confidential relationships with current and prospective donors
- Develop plans and interpret organizational plans to engage staff in achieving the organizational mission
- Create an inclusive work environment for direct reports
- Recruit, orient and develop staff
- Performance management
- Coach staff to develop and grow professionally
- Lead and facilitate volunteer committees, such as the Major Gifts Cabinet and Leaders Committee, through strategic development and decision making
- Recruit, orient and develop volunteers
- Assist volunteer leaders in volunteer recruitment, retention and recognition
- Oversee Affinity initiatives and liaise with committees
- Lead direct reports to implement organizational initiatives
- Work with other United Way divisions to foster the growth of fund development; build rapport with other United Ways to generate good will and support the movement
- Represent UWGV on the national Revenue Development peer group of United Way Centraide Canada
- Develop and manage department budget
- Follow organizational and CRA guidelines for gift acceptance, accounting, acknowledgement and donor management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To succeed in this challenging role, the Director will have the following attributes:
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate and manage staff in an integrated fundraising team environment
- Superior skills in working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and building strong relationships
- Ability to appropriately delegate to build scale and ensure growth of team members
- Strong record of working successfully with volunteers and volunteer management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, public speaking and facilitation skills, including tact, maturity and sensitivity to individuals and conditions and respect for different cultural and organizational contexts
- Proficient at fostering an inclusive work environment where staff and volunteers are motivated to contribute their diverse skills and approaches
- Greater Victoria Community involvement and established networks are assets
- Leads by example, accountable to goals
- Excellent oral and written communication with demonstrated strong presentation skills
- Strong demonstrated analytical, research, project management and evaluation skills
- Degree in a relevant discipline, or holds the CFRE professional fundraising credential, and membership in a professional fundraising association is preferred
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about this exciting career opportunity, please contact Mark Breslauer, CEO United Way Greater Victoria by phone at (250) 220-7364 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your resume and letter of interest to the above email address no later than January 31, 2019.
All enquiries will be kept in strict confidence.