The “new look” Victoria Leadership Awards (VLAs) are once again inviting the public to nominate an exemplary community leader in one or more of seven prestigious award categories.
Heading into their 12th year with a gala ceremony scheduled for February 25th, 2016 at the Victoria Conference Centre, the VLAs are back stronger than ever with a new logo, new awards for youth leadership and social innovation, and a revitalized organizing team comprised of top community leaders.
“Victoria’s greatest resource is the network of tireless leaders who inspire others,” said Leadership Victoria Executive Director Susan Low. “Coming from diverse backgrounds and working across a variety of sectors, they are united by a common cause: to build a strong and vibrant capital region. We’re pleased to once again invite the public to nominate a friend, neighbour, or co-worker who exemplifies the selfless spirit of community leadership.”
Nominations are being accepted now until December 1, 2015 at 4pm, for the following seven award categories:
- The University of Victoria Community Leadership Award acknowledges outstanding leadership in linking UVic and the community for greater public benefit. This award is given to someone outside the university workforce.
- Rotary Clubs of Greater Victoria Community Leadership Award recognizes leaders who meet Rotary values of the highest levels of ethical behaviour in business and in the community.
- Vancity Savings Social Innovation Leadership Award recognizes a leader who challenges the status quo and develops new approaches to community challenges in the areas of social justice, food security and financial empowerment. This award is new in 2016!
- Coast Capital Savings Youth Leadership Award recognizes a young person between the ages of 18 and 30 who demonstrates community leadership in building a richer future for youth in the Greater Victoria community.
- Royal Roads University Leadership Excellence through Coaching and Mentoring Award recognizes long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles through coaching and/or mentoring – professionally or informally.
- Leadership Victoria Alumni Award shines a light on a community leader who has completed Leadership Victoria’s Community Leadership Development Program and has gone on to make significant contributions to the Greater Victoria community.
- Leadership Victoria Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes a community leader’s long term and outstanding service in community leadership roles such as philanthropy, innovation, mentoring and career achievement. This is the first year that public nominations have been open for this award.
Two additional categories—United Way of Greater Victoria Award for Collaboration & Partnership and Victoria Foundation Community Leadership Award—will be presented at the ceremony, reflecting exemplary leadership that has been demonstrated through the communities served by those partner organizations.
The awards in all nine categories will be presented—and recipients announced live in an “Oscars-style” gala ceremony—on 25 February 2016 from 4pm to 7pm at the Victoria Conference Centre. A full list of previous winners is available on the Victoria Leadership Awards website. Videos of last year’s ceremony can be viewed on Leadership Victoria’s YouTube channel.
Ivan Watson, VLA Communications Chair at 250-418-0700 or email@example.com