Our Commitment to Protecting Your Privacy
United Way Greater Victoria is committed to protecting the privacy of its donors, volunteers, employees and other stakeholders. We value the trust of those we deal with and of the public, and we recognize that maintaining this trust requires us to be transparent and accountable in maintaining the confidentiality of the personal information that you choose to share with us.
United Way Greater Victoria embraces the principles of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). We are committed to ensuring that all personal information is properly collected, used only for the purposes for which it is collected, and is disposed of in a safe and timely manner when no longer required.
Our Privacy Principles
United Way Greater Victoria is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information. The following principles reflect our pledge to safeguard your personal information:
1. We are accountable for your personal information
We are responsible for all personal information in our possession or under our control. All employees, agents and authorized service providers of United Way Greater Victoria are required to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. We take every precaution to ensure confidentiality of your information. The information that an individual or an employer provides to us is used only for United Way purposes as outlined in section 2.
2. We collect, use and disclose personal information only for certain purposes that we identify to you
We collect, use or disclose information only for use in United Way’s (and where relevant, your workplace) campaign to: We obtain personal information about you lawfully and fairly. Personal information collected will be limited to that required for the purposes identified by us.
3. We will obtain your consent
- We collect, use or disclose your personal information with your permission. The way we seek consent may vary depending on the sensitivity of the information and the reasonable expectations of the individual. Your permission may be expressed in writing and may be given to us verbally or electronically.
- You may withdraw your permission to collect, use and disclose your personal information at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
- We respect your right to be removed from our mailing list. You always have the opportunity to decline receiving further communication from us by contacting our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will obtain individual donor consent before making information available to third parties.
4. We will limit collection
We will limit the amount and type of personal information collected to that which is necessary for our identified purposes.
5. We will limit use, disclosure and retention
We will keep your personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained or as required by law. Where personal information is no longer required to fulfill the identified purposes, it will be destroyed, erased or made anonymous.
6. We keep your personal information accurate and up to date
We will use our best efforts to ensure that personal information is as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. You are entitled to seek a correction of your personal information if you believe that the information in our possession is not correct.
7. We safeguard your personal information
We will protect personal information with safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Our safeguards will protect personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification, regardless of the format in which the information is held. When you make an online donation, a secure connection is established and your information is encrypted to prevent interception during the transaction. This secure connection is maintained until the transaction is completed or terminated. The software that enables these processes is routinely updated to maximize protection of your information. For credit card transactions, we use an industry-standard secure service.
8. We will be open about our privacy practices
We will make readily available to you specific information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
9. We allow you to access your personal information
Upon written request, we will inform an individual of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and we will provide access to that personal information. We will respond to an individual’s written request within a reasonable time (generally within 30 days).
10. You may register a complaint
You may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting United Way Greater Victoria’s Privacy Officer. We will explain our procedure and provide information about other complaint procedures available. If we find a complaint to be justified, we will take all appropriate measures, including if necessary, amending our policies and practices.
For more information, please contact our Privacy Officer, Janet Tudor at 250.220.7357 or by email at email@example.com. Bylaws For a complete set of the bylaws, please contact Maia at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-385-6708.